Make an adventure living.

It has been a dream in the making.

At the end of December 2017, R and I (together since 2004, married in 2007) purchased 22.5 acres of raw land in Piscataquis County, Maine. It's about 300 miles from our current home; the total trip length usually amounts to about 6 hours. R and I had talked and dreamed for years about buying some land somewhere relatively remote to build an off-grid cabin, with the purpose of eventually moving there in a few years after my stepdaughter, N, graduates college. We binged watched wilderness shows and kept the dream alive with a small garden and a couple of chickens in our back yard until all the right pieces to the puzzle fell into place. Now, the adventure begins!

Our trusty sidekicks, Tyson the rottweiler and Willow the Grey Ninja *ahem* #adventurecat, are right by our side the whole way having adventures of their own. Our two other cats, Zoey and Sonny, are more homebodies but are nonetheless vital parts of our family in their own ways, and will let Willow take the lead in securing the new land until it is finally The Time for us all go start anew.

Memorial Day Weekend

This visit was quite enjoyable because it was our longest stay so far.  The four of us arrived late Friday night, and headed back south Monday afternoon.

We started to cut and install some 2x4s to help support the rickety cabin shell, so I got to use some power tools.  A little intimidating, but R gives good instructions.
Rob measured and marked; I cut.
Willow enjoyed time relaxing in the camper looking for mice and bugs that were heard crawling around in the walls.  A friend suggested sprinkling whole cloves throughout the camper next time to help repel pests, and then just sweeping them up upon return.  Duly noted!
Willow taking a break from her "duties"
Speaking of bugs...they were plentiful.  We'd heard of Bug Season but had yet to experience it.  It was borderline intolerable but not so terrible that we couldn't get anything done.  In moving wood that has not been touched in ages, we came across a few creepies and crawlies.  I don't mind salamanders, but spiders give me the willies...  I did a quick internet search and I'm pretty sure there aren't any poisonous spiders in Maine. 🤞
We'll most certainly need to bring a lawnmower next time because the grassy area will probably be much longer by then.  Ticks are a big concern.  Tyson is protected by a topical flea/tick/mosquito medicine, and Willow has a Seresto collar, but that doesn't protect R and I.  I keep a lint roller at camp to use after we've trudged through the woods to try and remove ticks that way (a "hack" I read somewhere).

We took our Yamaha Banshee ATV this time.  The view from about half a mile away from camp of Borestone Mountain was amazing.

In cleaning the camp area of debris and seeing what we can repurpose, we found a nice pile of aluminum roofing we'll use for something.  Score!


We also discovered a gnarly old skeleton near the cabin; probably it's a porcupine.  Look at that front tooth!  That's what caused all the chew marks inside the cabin shell.  Notice the other teeth are flat and blocky.  I have to say - as much as I love nature in all its forms - I don't really look forward to the day that we encounter a porcupine.


As I've mentioned in the past, Willow is not much of a cuddle-cat at home, but when we're camping she's all about letting loose and enjoying the company of her humans.  I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to find her on my pillow next to my head (which is why the picture is off a bit, because it was dark and I lightened the photo a little).  I can't get over how freaking cute she is.  Can't. Get. Over. Her.  Obsessed.
Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment